Overchurch Junior School uses the Literacy Counts Steps to Read programme for the daily teaching of reading. The primary aim of the Steps to Read programme is to teach reading comprehension skills and strategies explicitly.
Steps to Read:
- Is sequenced, coherent and progressive
- Uses language-rich texts for vocabulary teaching
- Includes all elements of comprehension, taught sequentially across an academic year
- Has a clear focus on skills and strategies needed to be a proficient and confident reader
- Uses engaging texts to promote a life-long love of reading
- Includes poetry, non-fiction and fiction that enhances knowledge learning across the curriculum